Thursday, May 24, 2007

Afternoon delight?

(click to enlarge)

I wonder what this means.

I often find myself reading newspapers in the evening, which is probably unsurprising given the amount of newspaper reading I do. Partly because I have more time, I often find that time feels more like relaxation than "information inputs."

Clearly, there's quite an appetite for reading after noon. The top graph is from a December 2005 Scarborough data from NAA and the chart is taken from a 2002 Readership Institute Impact Study with 37,000+ responses. (Columns on the chart from left are Total, Men, Women, <23, 23-34, 35-54, 55-59, 60+, Heavy Readers, Light Readers. It was a PDF and hard to sample.)

All these results, of course, are based on the habits of people who, overwhelemingly, are reading papers designed for morning reading, often focused on things like overnight sports scores, evening meetings and other "yesterday" events that may well have been well communicated online or elsewhere before the paper gets read.

1 comment:

  1. What I read from this (we've talked lately about wishing we had never folded our old afternoon Raleigh Times) is a reminder that you cannot foresee the future based on straight-line projections of current trends.

    ReplyDelete

 
/*