Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Talking with the audience

The Modesto Bee had one of those days Wednesday; the press didn't get started until 4:52 am, the last papers didn't leave the building until 6:50 am, and so on ...

One bright spot: the paper wisely sent email alerts to about 100,000 registered users at modbee.com to let them know about the troubles -- and had a heartening response.

Here's the email from Eric Johnston, VP of Interactive Media there:

To say it has been an unusual day would be an understatement. I can't say I have ever experienced this kind of event in my newspaper career (admittedly short compared to my peers).

At any rate, we sent out around 100,000 e-mail messages to our registered site users this morning explaining our delivery delays. While all of those haven't been read - and many of our online users don't subscribe to the print edition - I was pleasantly surprised to receive some nice notes from folks.

I wanted to share the comments with you to let you know how appreciative our readers are of the work we do and the honesty we have expressed today.

--
How wonderful to have an e-mail from The Bee explaining the paper delay. Thank you!
--
I appreciate this notice. I tried calling this morning for my missed paper and could not get through. I completely forgot about calling in once I arrived at work, but forgot to, until I read your message, so now I don’t need to. Thank you very much for the information.
--
Thank You for your concern this is very personal in a society that has become very impersonal. It is nice that businesses still do business with old fashioned ideals. Meaning a real concern for their customer.
--
Thank you for the email...I was wondering what happened to my morning paper!
--
thank you so much. i really appreciate you and the modesto bee staff in all that you do to get out a quality newspaper each day. you all are totally awesome!
--
Thank you. I received my home delivered paper in Oakdale at 7:15 am this morning. Pretty good comeback on the Bee's part!!
--
Thank-you for the email .. I did worry about my newspaper this morning !! I also wanted to say thank-you to our delivery person..he this person new ?? My paper is always on my door step now .. this is great..
--
Thank you for the notification -- I MISS my Bee and will eagerly await its delivery.
--
Thank you for the information. I would sure hate to see the Bee encounter serious problems and not produce a newspaper!!!
--
Thank you Eric! I was checking to make sure I had paid my bill....
--
what a nice way to notify me, thank you!
--
Thank you! We thought maybe our ferocious dog scared the delivery person off!
--
Thank you...it is hard to work through when the Plan B goes out, too.
I trust all will be resolved as soon as possible. What a way to start the day, no? Take care,
--
I applaud your swift action. This is great customer service!
Thanks for the heads-up.
--
Thank-you for the notice. I would hate to think badly of my delivery man....
--
I'm so impressed with this email. What an incredible service. I called last week and complained that a requested stop had not been honored. While I got a phone call with an apology I was satisfied but not happy. This morning with no paper on the porch and then finding this email.............wow, I am so impressed. Thank you Modesto Bee for the efficient customer service!!!
--
Thank you for your explanation of the delay in the delivery of the paper. I appreciate your concern in notifying everybody and saving all of those telephone calls. It is truly amazing to me the way in which communication can be disseminated so quickly to so many in this age.
--
Thank you for the professioinalism of letting us know what happened. It is rare to be informed with out having to research and spend time finding answers myself.
--
Not all the newspaper subscribers are registered at modbee.com, of course. This could have been even more precise and mroe effective if we had a comprehensive email address list for all subscribers. Your paper should be capturing that information now. Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
/*