Thursday, May 22, 2008

Deep philosophy (and bicycles)

Many years ago, climbing a steep hill on a bike trip to Orcas Island, I turned to a tiring friend and said encouragingly, "Remember what Nietzsche said: What does not kill us makes us stronger."

Later that day, on an even steeper slope, I asked him, "How's it going, John?"

He was panting. "I ... think ... some German guy ... is trying ... to kill me."

That's the way this all feels to me nowadays. Mostly, I feel like we're surviving, and therefore getting stronger. And once in a while, the German guy shows up, too – but we're still here and pedaling.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:49 PM

    While some German guys can be a pain at times, they're not to be feared when they show up. Making changes and learning to let go of old ways is never easy but in the end surprising and wonderful things can happen. I should know because I married a German guy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:16 AM

    That which doesn't kill you can also leave you crippled and weak.

    The "ra ra ra" stuff is fine and all but don't lose perspective.

    ReplyDelete

 
/*